Active Server Pages (ASP)
- ASP or Active(X) Server Pages are a CGI-like technology developed by
Microsoft. It allows
you to create dynamically generated web pages from the server side using
environment that extends the normal capabilities of a web server and exposes
objects for use in web programming. It is accessed by either VBScript or
languages can be copied into an ASP page.
- ASP's coding, regardless of the language you choose, is all ascii text and is
used right along side normal HTML and is delimited by <% and %>.
- It has certain built-in objects that can be used to store and retrieve
variables, get information from user submitted forms, get information about the
server itself and, of course, write HTML based on this information.
Internet Information Server and the latest Peer Web Server support ASP.
However a company called Chilisoft has a
product called Chilisoft ASP which provides support to a wide variety of web
servers, including Apache, Lotus, Netscape, O'Reilly, Sun Solaris and IBM AIX.
- ADOs or ActiveX Data Objects are a application programming interface (API)
and part of Microsoft's Data Access Components. It provides a number of objects
that are used in the manipulation of databases through ASP.
- ADO objects are used by first creating an instance of the object you want on
the server. This is done with simple ASP code. Then, you simply use the methods
and properties of the objects to accomplish what you want.
and time / code
status display / code
Remote ip / code
run time / code
Server to client / code
User case /
Simple Program /
Break in text / code
Parse / code
*(Many of my examples are still being completed but you can view the source
- ASP can be used to create dynamic web pages that don't require a lot of
- The most common use of ASP is database connection. Any database that uses
ODBC can be accessed by ASP including Microsoft Access 97/2000, Microsoft's SQL
server and Oracle.
Questions or Comments?
Or my partner email@example.com