Computer Security Class Student Agreement
Sign and return by Fax to 706 - 565 - 3529
l I understand that I am taking a class that will teach me computer access techniques that can be used to break in to, damage or otherwise alter ("hack") computer systems. I also understand that it is the purpose of the class that this knowledge be used to protect information resources and not to compromise or destroy them or otherwise break any laws or disrupt educational, commercial or other activities. Any access to a system without the administrator/owners permission is illegal.
l The following actions are clearly not ethical:
– Breaking into a computer system without the permission of the owner or administrator of that computer system.
– Doing anything that substantially interferes with other user's access to computer-based services (i.e., denial of service attacks).
– Accessing computer-based information without appropriate authorization.
– Accessing any computer-based service without appropriate authorization.
– Unauthorized monitoring of electronic communication.
l I agree that I will not damage, disrupt or access any computer systems or other students work during this class. I also understand that I will be expected to work with other students to test security, but I agree that it will always be done with their knowledge. I addition I will not destroy or damage their work and will let them know what I have accessed on their system. I will cease accessing their system when asked.
l When in doubt, ask your instructor.
l I understand that if I can not accept these terms, I can drop the class with no academic penalty. Once accepted, their violation entitles the class administrator to administer disciplinary consequences, which may include an ‘F’ in this course and reporting to university authorities, if I fail to abide by these agreements.
Name (printed): ____________________________________ Class: ______________________
Name (signature): ____________________________________ Date:________________
Modified from document at - http://www.hct.umontana.edu/studentinfo/instructors/marshall/secagree.htm